Preparing for an Emergency Disaster
Don’t wait – take the following safety steps with your family today.
Make an emergency supply kit.
Gather supplies like water, medicines, and blankets. You won’t have time to search or shop for these supplies during an emergency, so put your kit together now. Make sure your kit includes:
- Water for at least 3 days. You’ll need at least 1 gallon of water a day for each person. Don't forget water for your pets, too!
- Food for at least 3 days. Choose foods that don’t need to be kept cold and that you don't need to cook – like energy bars, peanut butter, crackers, and canned fruit. Don’t forget a can opener!
- Prescription medicine that you take every day, like heart or diabetes medicine.
- A first aid kit to treat cuts, burns, and other basic injuries. (You can also buy first aid kits at many stores.)
- A battery-powered radio with extra batteries or a hand crank radio.
- A flashlight and extra batteries.
- A whistle to call for help.
Keep your emergency supplies together in a backpack, bag, or easy-to-carry container. Use a waterproof container if possible. Store your supplies in a place that’s easy to reach.
These and many other helpful tips are available at ready.gov. SERVPRO of Winter Haven is a Florida State licensed Certified Building Contractor, Mold Re-mediator, and Mold Assessor. We are IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification) certified in Fire/Water/Mold clean-up & restoration. Call us at 863-551-5004, we are always here to help.